Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Peace Independence Democracy Unity Prosperity
Ministry of Communication, Transport,
Post and Construction
Department of Transport No.: 0052/DOT
Vessel Technical Inspection
To: Division of Communication, Transport, Post and Construction in Provinces, Capital, and Special Zones
‘Vessel’ refers to a vehicle for waterway transport that transports goods and passengers, and is duly registered under the regulations on management of waterway transport vehicles.
Previously, the technical inspection of vessels in some provinces, especially provinces that use the Mekong river route, were well conducted but for some provinces inspections are not carefully carried out, which leads to accidents due to a lack of adequate technical standards of vessels.
To facilitate effective and convenient vessel technical inspections and as information basis for technical inspection officers,
The Department of Transport hereby issues this Instruction for vessel technical inspection, and it shall be strictly and duly implemented.
The Vessel Technical Inspection Standard, No.: 0030/DOT, dated 8 January 1996 is attached herewith.
- For each vessel technical inspection, a detailed inspection shall be recorded based upon the actual standard of vessels. Upon inspection, any vessels found to be substandard shall not be allowed to operate as the safety of passengers and goods cannot be ensured.
- The regulation stipulates that a certificate of technical inspection shall be valid for one year. However, if an official finds that any part or technical aspect of the vessel has malfunctioned or is irregular, thereby prejudicing safety, a technical inspection shall be carried out earlier than the stipulated timeframe and such vessel shall cease operation until it has been repaired or properly adjusted.
- To facilitate full and complete implementation of the vessel technical inspection, an owner or manufacturer of vessels shall declare the following important documents: a vessel registration certificate, a number plate shall be written or placed where it can easily be seen, a business license, and a navigation manual.
- Division of Communication, Transport, Post and Construction in Provinces, Capital, and Special Zones is assigned to implement this Instruction effectively and in accordance with actual circumstances.
- Upon actual implementation, if any difficulty is found, it shall promptly be reported to the Department of Transport.
Vientiane Capital, 08 January 1996
Director General of Department of Transport
[Signature and Seal]
Download English:Instruction on Vessel Technical Inspection No. 0052, dated 08 January 1996
Download Lao:Instruction on Vessel Technical Inspection No. 0052, dated 08 January 1996